Click here for Answer Key
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The ________ receive(s) incoming signals from other neurones.
- terminal buttons
- myelin sheath
2. A(n) ________ facilitates or mimics the activity of a given neurotransmitter system.
3. Multiple sclerosis involves a breakdown of the ________.
- myelin sheath
- synaptic vesicles
4. An action potential involves Na+ moving ________ the cell and K+ moving ________ the cell.
- inside; outside
- outside; inside
- inside; inside
- outside; outside
5. Our ability to make our legs move as we walk across the room is controlled by the ________ nervous system.
6. If your ________ is activated, you will feel relatively at ease.
- somatic nervous system
- sympathetic nervous system
- parasympathetic nervous system
- spinal cord
7. The central nervous system is comprised of ________.
- sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems
- organs and glands
- somatic and autonomic nervous systems
- brain and spinal cord
8. Sympathetic activation is associated with ________.
- pupil dilation
- storage of glucose in the liver
- increased heart rate
- both A and C
9. The ________ is a sensory relay station where all sensory information, except for smell, goes before being sent to other areas of the brain for further processing.
10. Damage to the ________ disrupts one’s ability to comprehend language, but it leaves one’s ability to produce words intact.
- Broca’s Area
- Wernicke’s Area
- occipital lobe
11. A(n) ________ uses magnetic fields to create pictures of a given tissue.
- PET scan
- CT scan
12. Which of the following is not a structure of the forebrain?
- substantia nigra
Personal Application Questions